Why Recruiters Need to Get on the Phone
Recruiters! Did you know that you are interrupted at least 150 times a day! And still, your boss yells “Get on the phone!” That phrase was the mantra of many a recruitment leader in the early 2000s and continues to be said in every recruitment office across the globe.
68% of B2B business (eg. Recruiters!) said that generating more leads is a top priority. And we all agree that recruiter makes placements, not phones.
But with so many systems (Bullhorn, Adapt, LinkedIn, Job Boards – and a plethora of other systems designed to help you source, scrape spy), where on earth should a recruiter start? How are you supposed to get on the phone when you are surrounded by tech? Here are some tips recruiters love from my Inbound Sales Training Workshop.
How to Get a Recruiter Making More Phone Calls? HIIT Them!
Recruitment Leaders want their teams on the phone more – in fact 76% of the recruitment leaders we spoke to last year said that “get on the phone” was their go-to phrase. Recruiters often want to be on the phone, but 59% say that they need a purpose for the call, and they’re being distracted by systems and software. We think that they need some inbound sales to kick start the sales process.
I’ve been talking about HIIT (high-intensity interval training) for a while. I am a Joe Wicks devotee, a gym fanatic with a PT who has made me sweat in places I didn’t know I had places. I’m addicted to logging my workouts – my Garmin is one of my most useful bits of tech. As a multi-tasker HIIT is a gift.
We use HIIT in our recruitment training to help recruiters get value from their time – we’ve found that this new approach to recruitment training is a massive improvement. You just don’t want to be away from your desk for 4-6 hours. The forgetting curve is a recruiter’s enemy. You need high intensity, passionate training session to get the blood pumping and the sales coming – and to make your training stick!
I have created a 9-minute HIIT for Recruiters to help you get on the phone. It’s nine, 1-minute hacks to drive more purposeful calls. Get in for 08:30, get a strong coffee, warm up, set your watch, and get started!
Recruiters – Get Ready for 9 Minutes of “Get on the Phone” Training
- Check your LinkedIn SSI (social selling index)– it’s free, and has tips to help you improve your approach. This takes less than a minute. Quickly check – don’t get distracted. Make a note of where you need to improve, then, move to exercise 2.
- Now you need to spend 1-minute attracting attention from the people you want to sell to (and get the CV of). You claim you are a niche recruiter – now’s the time to prove it. Spend 1 minute sharing some content that they are likely to look at, that once they have looked are likely to look at your profile. (And you’ll see them do it and can add to your call list.)
- Repost your top jobs in 1 minute. No-one is staring at your profile all day, so you’re unlikely to wind anyone up by sharing jobs every day. Get cracking – you need job applications and you won’t get them by posting them once and walking away for 30 days!
- Whilst you’re posting content and jobs think about my hack for getting the damn things read and actioned! Spending 1-minute whispering will get you nowhere. Be smart and get noticed – try my LinkedIn posting hacks:
“The doctors in my medical community with love this post about the best apps for medical professionals – I especially love # 5”.
Trust me, recruiters! This will attract doctors, market your brand and get them wanting to know what # 5 is. Clickbait!
“This a great job for IT Managers who want to work in a business with the best hardware and a bought-in board of Directors who really get what IT can do for a business”.
Recruiters – mention the pain points of your community and they’ll read your job adverts.
- There’s plenty of things a recruiter can do one-handed ;-)! And sourcing is one of them. You do not need lengthy boolean strings to pickle your brain and test your patience. There are at least 13 places in LinkedIn where you can source with one hand (and two eyes). Try areas like your home page, the pages of your ideal candidates – look for “people like” etc… and who have liked the content of your competitors/clients. These are warm gifts, not cold calls! damn! Get on the phone and source one-handed at the same time… it’s possible!
- Right – I know you think you know how to connect, but I have a hack for you to get you super-effective. When you send your ideal connection an invite, add some content which gets your contact hooked. If it’s from your website, rock n’ roll! Ask your marketer to set up something like – this tells you who has been to your website. You should have a target list of people you want to convert. Send them your content, see if they bite. Add them to your call list if they do. Rinse and repeat if they don’t!
- Try this TURBO in your HIIT, recruiters! I have worked with a few recruiters using Calendly… a really cute (free) bit of kit that shows your prospects areas of your diary that you want them to book for a call. Send them a link with some call date options. Let them know (think) that they are in charge. Without lifting a finger, fill your diary with your target’s interview appointments! This is one of my favorite Recruiter Hacks.
“Hi Uzma, I’m sending you this link as I have a role that I know you’ll be great at and it has such a great benefits package and training and development opportunities. Feel free to book a call with me at a time to suit you.”
- Spend 1 minute getting under the skin of your prospects. Use Crystal Knows to study the profiles of your prospects, and use the tips it gives you for how to convert them. It’s a scarily accurate profiler!
- We all know that video is the biggest thing to hit the web, and it’s going to the biggest thing to help you convert. Try Loom to record a 30 second “hi” video that you can send to your prospects.
- Get an ideal client’s job advert on your screen and talk to them about the candidates you have for them.
“Hi Luke, I see that you’re looking for a Project Manager. I work in your field and understand how crucial this role must be for you. I have currently got 5 candidates that I know would be a great asset to your business.”
- Get your prospect candidate on your screen and record
“Hi, Emily. I can see that you are a ###, and that you get a kick out of ###. I’d love to talk to you about ###…”
- Sending someone a video about themselves, with your face in the bottom left, and you’re talking to them – they’ll be hooked!
- Spend 1 minute checking your LinkedIn notifications (bell, top right!) Look for birthdays, promotions, who’s viewed your profile, who’s liked your content. All of the stuff you’ve done above will be reaping rewards. Grab these leads. Add this to your call list.
Recruiters! It’s not even 09:00 and you’re ready to rock and generate some warm candidate and client calls!
Get on the Phone and Sell, Recruiters
We deliver these recruiter hacks as part of our Inbound Sales Training Workshops. Contact Lisa if you want to not only get your recruiters on the phone, but also generating some genuine and convertible leads.